The Best Care for your Best Friend
FurEver Family Pet Services, LLC is an award-winning Professional Pet Sitting Company serving the Portland Metro area since 2011. Our company is established on our code of compassion, safety, trust and training. We strive to be the best at what we do because of the importance, and value of the trust provided to us by you, our clients.
About FurEver Family
FurEver family Pet Services was founded in the summer of 2011 by Amy Baker Schultz.
“I LOVE animals. Always have and always will. And after 18 years of being a 911 Emergency Dispatcher, I decided to retire my headset and turn to my true passion – Animal Care.
When I was just a year old, my father bought me a horse for my birthday. The rest is history. I was that young kindergartner who raised their hand wanting to take home the chicks we had hatched in class…and my poor father was the one in the basement at 3 am building the new chicken coop. Throughout school, there were many a field trip to our home to visit the chickens, rabbits, fish, dogs, and cats that we had on our ‘urban’ farm.
My family currently has one dog, Raja, our first ‘foster failure’. Fostering is very important to us, it saves lives, and provides an opportunity to learn more about all types of dogs. You may even find a breed you like that you never would’ve considered as a pet for yourself!”
After years of working in the pet sitting industry Amy has built up a team of animal loving Pet Sitters that will continue her culture of generosity and compassion. Amy still does visits; however, her amazing team allows her to finally slow down just a little bit and take a day off now and then.
Why We Do What We Do!
We value consistency and compassion. Our goal, with every pet and home, is to have one primary caretaker, one backup and a tertiary, on-call person. Through this model, caretakers build relationships by truly getting to know the pets and pet parents, their home, and can easily/quickly alert you if something is off. Our amazing employees work each day to go above and beyond in their caregiving, which is why we feel we offer gold star standard in our work. We are continually striving to find perfect team members who will be happy at our company now, and in the future, to foster that special relationship with you and your pet(s).
FurEver Family Caretakers
If we had it our way it would be the same person going on each and every visit to your home no matter what! However, because everyone in our company is an employee instead of independent contractors (like most pet sitting companies) we have to allow for days off, which is why we have backup and tertiary sitters. We can also utilize these trained team members when “Life Happens” and you have a last minute request or change and your primary is already booked or on a day off. We hate to say ‘no’ and strive to meet all requests responsibly.
FurEver Family takes great pride in our training and new hire process. We do an extensive vetting process for our Professional Animal Caretakers. This includes a nationwide background check, personal and professional reference checks, a new hire orientation, as well as at least two weeks of training (with an experienced Caretaker) in the field before they go on any visits alone. Because we employ our team members we are able to continue everyone’s training with team training weekly, to uphold our standards and code of ethics. Our company invests heavily in our team. We do all we can to help each other be successful at our company.
FurEver Family offers our team benefits, which is a rarity in the Pet Sitting industry. We do this to ensure our Caretakers are more invested in our company and have incentives to stay with us (and YOU) long term. We offer them room to grow with mandatory training in Pet First Aid/CPR, pet nutrition, dog training, and cat behavior; as well as opportunities to move into leadership roles.
Our Mission & Services
Our mission is to foster our passion for animals and people into a bond with both pets and pet parents. We are a support system for our clients, whatever the needs may be. We do not discriminate on any species or special care needed.
End of life stages are the hardest times to go through with our pets, and we are here to support you in any way possible.
Our team is also always on the ready to come help look for lost pets.
We welcome the opportunity to continue and support any training you are working on while we are with your pups. Please contact us if you are ever in need of help or just need someone to listen.
Keeping Your Home & Pets Safe
Key safety is a major safety concern of ours. Typically, we have 2 keys; 1 for the Caretaker that is assigned and 1 in our lock box system for emergencies. Our preferred method for the key is a lock box at our client’s home. However, we have found it to be valuable to have at least one backup in our lock box in case of emergency.
FurEver Family employs an office manager to ensure our clients have a point of contact Monday through Friday 9am-5pm, by calling (971) 331-4404. We want all of our clients to know we are here for you and value your needs. Rebekah or another manager is typically in the office during business hours and would love to talk!
Your trust is the most important piece of our business. Please always let us know if you have any questions or concerns. We appreciate your feedback and are so grateful for your business!
Frequently Asked Questions
We provide Professional Pet Sitting Services for a large part of Multnomah and Clackamas Counties. Our ‘family’ is based in Milwaukie, Oregon. We welcome all pet sitting inquiries as we may be able to provide service on a case by case basis or offer a referral for those outside our service area.
We are always happy to provide references upon request.
Our many years of experience and trainings are passed down to each team member to ensure we are prepared for anything that can happen. FurEver Family Pet Services is 100% insured. We hire only the highest quality professionals to join our team so they will offer our clients specialized care with a personal touch. We hold all of our Pet Sitters to a high level of performance and ethical standards. Our team participates in trainings every week on a core curriculum of safety, animal, and team building topics.
Our motto is “Life Happens.” People get sick, busy, and some lucky people might get a last-minute invite to sneak out of town for a weekend. Because these things happen, FurEver Family Pet Services believes in using a cross-training protocol to ensure your pet will always receive the highest quality of care at any given time.
All animals, we don’t discriminate! Please let us know ahead of time if your pet(s) needs a slower introduction, are more comfortable with a male or female sitter, or is prone to any specific triggers. We want to ensure everyone is set up for success!
We will provide a full update at each visit, along with pictures of your pets and/or home, so you know how everything is going while you are away. These updates will be posted in your client portal for easy reference, and will be delivered to you via email by our software system.
We welcome the opportunity to continue and support any training you are working on while we are with your pets. Please contact us if you would like to go over specific training instructions. We are not certified dog trainers, however we are happy to provide consistency with your trainings and the specific commands you use. Our walkers do use basic commands on walks, as this can help greatly in a safety situation.
All of our employees are trained to avoid people, animals, other dogs and children while on walks to minimize any potential incidents. Any training techniques used by our employees will be based off of owner’s commands and positive dog training methods.
FurEver Family Pet Services offers our client’s a personalized Pet Sitting software called Time To Pet. An account is set up on our client’s behalf through email. With this account, you can manage your pets and home information, provide immediate updates to your pet sitter, schedule or cancel services, pay invoices and much more. You are able to access your account from either a computer or mobile application.
We work to meet each scheduling request quickly and responsibly. Please schedule your visits as soon as you are able to ensure availability and your ideal time slot.
Reservations for existing clients can be scheduled through your client portal. Scheduling is done on a first come first serve basis, in time blocks, as we cannot commit to an exact time of arrival. However, we will always do our best to accommodate your request.
If you have a request for a service pertaining to your home and/or pet(s) you do not see listed on our website, please contact us about a customized service!
We understand life happens. When possible, contact us 24 hours before service is scheduled to start in order to avoid the cancellation fee. Any cancellations that are less than 24 hours in-advance will forfeit any refund or credit.
Upon your return home, please send a message through your client portal to let us know that your pet(s) are in your care and you are home safe. If you don’t notify us, we will be messaging you, and if no response we will be coming over to see if everyone is okay. 🙂
We encourage all clients to pay through the Time to Pet Portal or leave cash or check to pick up on our first scheduled visit.
We reserve the right to decline or end service for non-payment.
Weekly billing can be arranged.
Checks: There is a service charge of $25 for returned checks. All payments are due before service or on the first visit. Please make checks payable to: FUREVER FAMILY PET SERVICES.
All credits on the client accounts are applied to the next invoice. Please contact us if you would like to save a credit for a different invoice or go over the refund process.
It is very important to notify FurEver Family Pet Services of any other person (relative, neighbor, contractor, cleaning service, child, etc.) having permission to access your home while you are away. If we are not notified in advance, we will need to contact the police for our safety, the pet’s safety, and the safety of your home.
In the event you have asked us to share pet sitting visits with another company or individual, the home/pet owner agrees to assume the risk and liability that can occur. FurEver Family Pet Services will not be held responsible for the pet(s) improper care/possible escape, improper home security (doors and gates being left open), personal items lost, broken, or stolen. Owners who set up additional help outside of FurEver Family Pet Services will not be able to hold our company liable and must agree to additional charges to reclaim or treat pets in need of additional services due to outside party negligence.
Any pets visiting in a client’s home will not be able to be serviced without written consent from the owners, temperament information, vet/health information, and instructions.
We require full payment before services begin including our holiday surcharge of $7 per each visit on a holiday day listed on our services page of our website. The holiday charge goes to your Pet Sitters for working on a major holiday.
Options for home access:
- Lock box of your choosing or purchase from FurEver Family Pet Services for $23.
- Key service, we will pick up/drop off keys for $10 per trip, first key service is free.
- FurEver Family Pet Services can manage your home key on file. Two working copies of your house key will be either picked up at the meet and greet or we can make a copy at our locksmith. This cost is worked into our service rates. All keys are inventoried weekly and kept in a locked safe.
- If you live in a gated community, provide a gate code.
- Garage code with a second backup key option.
- Door lock code with back up key.
- *Please notify us if locks have changed.
*Keys will not be mailed by regular mail, hidden outside, or locked in homes on last visits. Should keys become unusable, lock malfunctions, client fails to leave a key, or for any other reasons beyond our control, FurEver Family Pet Services will first contact all emergency contacts listed on file with your home key, and second has the authorization to employ the services of a locksmith to gain entry into a client’s home on client’s behalf to complete a scheduled service.
Client will be responsible for all expenses incurred and reimburse FurEver Family Pet Services through your pet portal for time spent and locksmith charges. Please test all keys first, making sure they work, before giving to FurEver Family Pet Services.
All communication regarding FurEver Family Pet Services must be conducted on your private client portal, through the office number (call or text 971-331-4404, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm), or on the company’s email. Calling and/or texting any employees on their private cell phones is strictly prohibited. Using other methods to communicate such as private email and Facebook are also prohibited. This helps keep all sitters and clients on the same page and leaves no room for error. In the event of an emergency, using your client portal is the quickest way to reach us, as we see all messages that come in immediately. We do encourage you to utilize your portal for all communication.
We will make all attempts to contact you and take your pet(s) to your preferred veterinarian or emergency facility. If your pet requires medical care, we will contact you as soon as possible and keep you informed throughout.
It is important to be prepared in the event something does occur. As people are often away on holidays, weekends, and overnights at times when your vet is typically closed, we will take your pet(s) to one of the local emergency veterinary clinics. We will talk with you about this at the time we meet as well as arrangements for payment and the paperwork for the emergency clinic. Please keep all of your vet information current in our system. If a situation does arise, we will contact your vet or an emergency facility and act in the manner that they deem necessary for your pet(s) health, safety, or survival.
Outdoor times will vary in consideration for pet’s health in extreme weather conditions; common conditions in our area being temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit, poor air quality (smoke), flooding, ice, and snow. In the event of inclement weather or natural disaster, we will use our best judgment regarding the care of your pets, home, and the safety of our employees. This includes, but is not limited to, altering visit times, visit duration, outdoor times, length of walks, and feeding schedules. All attempts will be made to make it to the home visits on our schedule; we will depend on correspondence with you if possible, or will defer to an emergency contact provided by you at time of initial consultation – please keep this information current.
For your protection and ours, it is a policy that all pets we are caring for are up-to-date and current on their Rabies immunization, including indoor-only pets. We understand that not all clients follow a yearly immunization schedule and may choose to follow a titer schedule so the Rabies vaccine is the only one that is mandatory.
We will provide service to dogs with access to the outdoors only if we have specific written instruction from the pet and homeowner outlining us to do so. Any dogs with outdoor access by a dog door must have tags and/or be microchipped with the number added to our records. In the event a pet escapes, or there is a home break-in, we will begin protocol to contact you (emergency contact if you are not reachable) as well as the appropriate authorities. We will take all steps to retrieve any lost animals. Owner agrees to reimburse FurEver Family Pet Services for additional time spent, fees, and costs associated with the event of a lost animal or break in which may include vaccinations, vet visits, and Pet Taxi services.
If the client’s pet(s) use a dog door allowing access outdoors, and the client requests it left open during our care, the client releases FurEver Family Pet Services from all liability if anything happens to the pet(s) while outdoors.
- Home environment that is familiar and safe allows pets to maintain their daily routines
- Reduces risk of illness
- LOTS of personal attention and loves given
- Not confined to an unfamiliar space, kennel or small room for most of their day
- Allows YOU peace of mind to enjoy your time away
- You don’t have to bother your friends, family, or neighbors
- Daily contact through updates, photos, and messaging system
- Professional care that monitors their health and behavioral changes
- Women-owned business!
- If you are happy with our services please leave us an online review (Google, Facebook, Yelp)
- If you have any questions or concerns please contact us – we would love to help in any way
- Fully Insured
- Pet First Aid/CPR Certified
- Pet Sitting * Dog Walking * Overnight Stays * Medications, Shots and Sub-Q Fluids
- Specializes in Special Needs Pets
- Voted Top Dog by Spot Magazine since 2014
- We treat your pet like a part of our family
- We make sure your home is secure
- We pick up your mail
- We take out/bring in the garbage and recycle bins
- Timed visits and GPS tracking
- Daily updates with pictures
- Loving and caring for your pets 365 days each year
- Team of caring Professional Pet Sitters ensures you will have coverage for holidays and last-minute trips
Being prepared to be away from your pet is crucial to your ability to relax while you are gone. Here are some ways to ensure that you are all set:
- Access for the sitter. Please have the correct keys (two copies) ready at the Meet and Greet or contact us to pick it up before services start. Lock box and code or door code is another option. Lock boxes are a great alternative to giving us a key, please contact us if you would like FurEver Family Pet Services to acquire a lock box and add the charge to your invoice.
- Always make sure your Pet Sitter knows when you are leaving (date and hour) and when you plan to return (date and hour). Follow up when you would like for us to start and stop visits to avoid scheduling mishaps.
- Update Time To Pet with all contact names and phone numbers and any changes to the pet(s) routine:
- Change in medication
- Change in food or treats
- Any recent visits to the Vet
- Any new additions to the family
- Any recent losses to the family
- If you have an alarm system, don’t forget to notify your service that your Pet Sitter will be entering your home.
- Check that your fire extinguisher is in an accessible place and in working order, please contact us if you would like FurEver Family to acquire a fire extinguisher and add the charge to your invoice.
- Prepare proper waste disposal for bio-medical waste with a clear label if you have needles for your pets. Please show your Pet Sitter where you keep your sharps container for disposal. Contact us if you would like FurEver Family Pet Services to acquire a sharps container and add the charge to your invoice.
- Please make sure that outdoor and indoor lighting is functional before you go.
- Notify your pet’s veterinarian that your Pet Sitter will be caring for your pets and has the authority to bring your pet in for treatment. Leaving your credit card number on file at the vet or with FurEver Family’s office is always a good idea.
- Notify any appropriate neighbors or family members that you have hired a Pet Sitter and that the sitter has permission to be going in and out of your home.
- Let the Pet Sitter know if there are any areas of your house or yard in which your pet is not allowed to go, and if you have a special area for pet waste to be tossed.
- If you are going to be away for an extended period of time, you may also want to notify the police that you will be gone.
- If you are traveling out of the country, let FurEver Family Pet Services know. If you would like to leave us your flight number we can make sure your pets are seen again if you get caught in travel delays.
- If you won’t have access to Wi-Fi on your trip, let us know if there are other means of notifying you.
- Check to see if you have updated any locks since the last time FurEver Family entered your home, and arrange a pick-up of the new key.
- Inform your Pet Sitter of any persons entering the home while you are away.
Things to have accessible for your Pet Sitter:
- 2 Keys to home, access to lockbox, or door code
- Fire extinguisher
- Food and/or treats
- Leash/collar – good working condition, ID and license tags attached
- Poop bags
- Pet-friendly towel
- Cleaning supplies, paper towels, rags and garbage bags
- Any special written instructions
- Extra litter (with scoop and disposal instructions)
- Sharps container for any sharp medical objects (if applicable)
- Labeled container for any bio-medical waste (if applicable)
END OF LIFE CARE
Coping with the impending loss of a pet is one of the most difficult experiences a pet parent will face. Whether your furry friend is approaching their golden years, or has been diagnosed with a terminal illness, it’s important to calmly guide the end-of-life experience and minimize any discomfort or distress. As your pet’s health declines, you may elect to care for your pet at home – with the supervision of a veterinarian – or you may decide to end their suffering with euthanasia. Whatever course you choose, please know, you’re not alone.
FurEver Family Pet Services is 110% dedicated to you and your pets in the event of a loss. Our pets rely on us for almost everything, and at no time is that truer than when their lives are nearing an end. There is no greater gift than for a pet parent to ensure that a beloved pet’s last days and final passing are filled with love and peace. However, doing this requires a little preparation, which will help before a crisis arises.
To ensure that you cover all your bases, consider the type of end-of-life care that’s needed. This can often be difficult and overwhelming to think about. Talk to your veterinarian about your pet’s health and treatment options. You will want to consider your pet’s quality of life, as well as your families.
These questions are a tool to make saying goodbye to your pet as peaceful as possible…for you and for them.
Who would you like to be with your pet when the time comes? Where will you have the procedure performed?
End of life stages are the hardest times to go through with our pets, and we are here to support you in any way possible. FurEver Family Pet Services has references for pet grief counselors in the Portland area. Please let us know if you would like a referral.
Are you interested in becoming a Professional Animal Caretaker with FurEver Family?
Here are the steps to take:
- Cover letter on why you would like to work for our company
- List of 2 professional references
- List 2 personal references (no family members please)